Monday, March 30, 2009

How did you celebrate earth hour?

So if you didn't know Saturday we were supposed to "tell the world's governments that we care about earth" by shutting off all our lights from 8:30-9:30pm.  The WWF(not the wrestling organization) has said "an estimated 1 billion people world wide voted by turning off their lights and not using electricity".  Now I question how they know how many people really did this.  I do know this.  There are a little over 6.7 billion people living on earth right now (http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/popclockworld.html).   Now this seems like a lot of people voting for immediate climate change, until you find out the following.  There are 1.6 billion people who live without electricity around the world!  I guess they're the real environmentalists.(http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-95531792.html)
Now lets see how the two biggest environmental preachers celebrated earth hour.  First up Leonardo DiCaprio.  He spent his hour at the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice awards.  The producer of the fear inspired 11th hour was there to accept the first ever Big Green Help award.  Now I admit I didn't watch, so maybe they used candles for lighting.  Maybe he walked to the theater instead of using that evil gas guzzler limo he usually does.  However I doubt that he did.  So on earth hour he was a part of something that uses more power in 1 hour than most small towns!  I won't even mention all the after show parties with their disposable plates and utensils.  So I guess Leo voted "NO" to the earth.
 Now lets take a stroll to Tennessee to see how Al Gore(Mr. Internet) voted.  According to Drew Johnson, the president of the Tennessee Center for Policy Research he voted "NO" as well.  According to Drew's blog:
 "I pulled up to Al's house, located in the posh Belle Meade section of Nashville, at 8:48 p.m. – right in the middle of Earth Hour. I found that the main spotlights that usually illuminate his 9,000 square foot mansion were dark, but several of the lights inside the house were on. The kicker, though, were the dozen or so floodlights grandly highlighting several trees and illuminating the driveway entrance of Gore’s mansion. I [kid] you not, my friends, the savior of the environment couldn’t be bothered to turn off the gaudy lights that show off his goofy trees." 
Maybe next year they'll rent their movies and get "scared" into voting.  As for me, I spent my hour with every light on in my house, and the refrigerator door open for an hour.  Maybe I have more in common with Leo and Al than I thought.







  

No comments:

Post a Comment